Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh so rewarding.

Today was a great day. Wednesdays are clinic days for the surgeon I work for. He sees 25-30 patients every Wednesday. 13 new patients and the rest are return patients anywhere from 6 weeks to 10 or so years out from surgery. I am beginning to see the impact I can have on these patients. Some come and go with little to say. Others are grateful to me and all I did for them. It blows my mind how grateful these people are that I visited them in the hospital. My job is to see them everyday while they are in the hospital. Often it is just a social visit. On some occasions I help facilitate their care in the hospital or at home. It is amazing what a visit can do for these patients.
Today so many thanked me for all I do for them. It has inspired me and I look forward to visiting my patients each day. I loved working in the hospital hours to days after a surgery. I felt I made a difference there. However, after I discharged the patient I knew little of their care. Now I get to know these patients and their stories. I see them come in desperate for a solution to their pain. Then I get to see them months later grateful for the help they recieved. It is nice to see the whole process and help the patients through this.
I am grateful for this great job I have. I work with a great team of Doctors and medical personnell.
This job has proven to be a challenge, but after today it is all worth it.

No comments: