Sunday, July 17, 2011

Just a thought

I got a calling over text message, then a few days later was asked to speak in church over a text. To be honest I really just laughed when those text came through. I know my Bishop is very connected to technology and don't mind his invites and reminders about ward activities. It is kinda nice to be reminded he is involved and aware of our activities.

Today I was text and asked to come be set apart to my new calling during Sunday school. I quickly responded "I will be teaching Sunday school and unable to make it." The response was "okay same time next week then." I did not bother to respond I will be teaching Sunday school next week. Now I realize this is similar to an email that they might send out just quicker response time. However, I am saddened that the personal interaction is lost. Likely the person sending the text does not know who he is responding to, just one of the many he sent a mass text to. I think it is so important for people to feel like they are known and that others are aware of them. We all crave that feeling. When we become one in a mass text that feeling is lost.
I will continue to resist advances in communication technology because I miss human interaction.

The other night I sat with 5 friends all of which had their phone out. I miss the days of sitting around and just chatting without interruption. When everyone was in the same conversation without talking to someone else they would obviously rather be with. I have been in car rides where I was merely the chauffeur, because everyone had the phones out texting and calling others. I might look into that new car feature that will not allow phones to be used in the car. Not only will this keep me from being tempted to text while driving but everyone else will have to sing along with myself and Barry Manilow or NSYNC.

Maybe that is the real reason everyone is on their phone in my car.
I know I must go forward and embrace these changes but I should not have to loose human interaction. I am grateful that I can be so connected to my family despite the miles between us!

1 comment:

Hildegarde said...

By text message?! I have been asked to meet with the bishop by text, but not given my actual calling! Crazy.