Thursday, April 28, 2011

Must Resist The Urge To Lead.

I always thought I was a follower in life. I thought I liked just going with the flow... I think I might be wrong... These were some of my realizations in my dance class today.

Growing up my dad would dance with us and teach us to follow. I loved it and I was excited to be able to read a partner when dancing. However, many times at dances or should I say all the time at dances there are not enough guys. As a result I have become a very good lead. Ask Monica she will confirm it! I have my dad to thank for that too!

I now am having to work through this in my social ballroom class. In addition to my conflicting rolls growing up. I also think I am a strong willed individual. I also like things done right and if people are not catching on as fast as me I take control. This is very frustrating to me. I don't want to be in control but apparently I am more comfortable there. I think this is why I was inspired to take dance lessons. Teach me to follow and maybe be a little more submissive.

Good news though when I dance with the instructor I follow very well... now! He uses me to demonstrate all the things he did not teach us that we should be able to do with a good lead. I own the floor when he does that!

Hopefully, I can apply this to many other aspects of my life. Maybe one in particular.

No comments: