Sunday, August 21, 2011

Part of it All

This past week I had the opportunity to play softball with my ward. Our stake had a season and a tournament and I played one game in that season. I wanted to go more often but I always talked myself out of it for reasons such as soccer and fear of having to meet new people. The very last game in that tournament I actually showed up to play but they had enough girls so I went home to study. They won that game and in turn won the stake tournament. Since they won they got to go on to the regional tournament.


This is where I come in. Wednesday night was the first game of the tournament I joined the team. That game was fun. Halfway through the game we actually realized we were playing the wrong team. They let us play on. We won 15-0.


Thursday night we had three games to play. The first game was awesome. We were neck in neck with the other team until the last two innings. We ended up winning the game. I kept making minor errors in this game and felt I was not helping the team much but had fun all the same. The announcer took the liberty of calling me Jessie B. It made me cringe every time she called me up to bat. A dear friend on the team went up and asked her to call me Jessica. From then on she would say "Jess-ICA B is up to bat" I will take that any day over Jessie B (said in a whiny voice).

Since we won the first game we had an hour break then we would play in the semi-finals. This game was pretty intense as well. We felt pretty good about where we were at because their pitcher was not that great. However, they put up a good fight and took the game. I did shine in right field though. I caught a pop fly! My batting started shaping up in this game as well.

We had one more game to go. This game was to determine third place. Our excitement had died a little at this point but we played on. This game was a lot of fun. I believe without the pressure of the big win we just had fun. Every time of ran to first base the guy there complemented my swing. After two games I had a lot of practice. We ended up loosing this game but not after we put up a good fight in two extra innings.


By the time we were done playing I was exhausted. What a fun night. What a great group of people. I am finally ready to admit that I am part of a ward and I love it.

Today at church one of the guys sat down in front of me in sacrament meeting and put is hand up in front of me. since I am not use to talking to many people at church it took me a minute to register he was high fiving me!!

Hopefully I will have the team picture to post soon.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am glad you like your ward!